Monday, August 17, 2009

What is a disciple & how do you make one?

We all know that the great commission tells us to go and make disciples. Most of us assume we know what a disciple is and how disciples are made. For many in churches -- their assumption is that disciples are made through the progams of the church. For a number of years now I have been challenging that assumption. I've started over - asking some basic questions. The following are some of my most recent thoughts. I would love to have your imput. I'm sure I've forgotten something really important.

1. What is a disciple?

1) A disciple is a person who is an apprentice of Jesus and his “way.” Disciples believe that pursuing the way of Jesus is just as important as believing in Jesus.
2) A disciple is a person who is pursuing a relationship with God through Jesus.
3) A disciple is a person who is determined to embody the character of God as modeled by Jesus.
4) A disciple is a person who is committed to align his or her life with God’s dream for the world as demonstrated by Jesus.
5) A disciple is a person who is moving towards restored wholeness because of Jesus.

2. How are disciples made?

1) Disciples are made through intentionally learning from Jesus.
2) Disciples are made through engaging in real community with a group of other disciples.
3) Disciples are made through practicing a rhythm of spiritual disciplines.
4) Disciples are made through an ongoing relationship with a mentor/coach/soul friend.
5) Disciples are made through the practice of missional living. Disciples both demonstrate & announce the good news of the kingdom.

4 comments:

  1. Right on. That is what a disciple is and how one is made. I have been reading The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch. One of the primary things that distinguishes a Jesus movement from the organizaed church is precisely what you have described here. He traces the beginning of the early church and the phenominal growth of the first 2 centuries, as well as the church in China during the years of Mao's reign and what missionaries found when they were let back in about 30 years ago. Phenominal growth, without buildings, programs, or anything organized. What transpired is that there were disciples making disciples. That is, there were people who were sold out to living for Jesus, teaching other people what it means to be committed to Christ and how they would live differently. Hirsch concludes that the primary focus of disciples is making disciples and it never goes beyond that. Once you move beyond making disciples and get more organized, you lose focus and effectiveness as the body of Christ. Organized religion is what is at the end of every Jesus movement in history. You don't need a seminary degree to make a disciple. You just need to be committed to living like Jesus and willing to teach someone else what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree with everything you said about what a disciple is. But, that's mostly because I know you and know your life. My problem with the language is that most cultural Christians would look at it - and because of the power of mental models say - I'm doing this stuff.

    If I did all the things you say a disciple is, "What would my life look like?" A few of my answers would include: I'd be in deep, authentic relationships of prayer, accountability and encouragement with a small group of believers who were on mission together. Prayer, worship and the spiritual disciplines would not be some compartment of my life. They would be my way of life. I'd be so deeply and personally connected to God through Jesus Christ that I'd burn with a commitment to be on mission. I'd be in deep, ongoing relationships to poor people. I'd be confronting the leaders of corrupt systems in our society at personal and financial costs to myself and my family. I'd be speaking on behalf of the widow, the orphan and the alien in our land.

    It doesn't matter if you agree with my descriptions. But until we do this kind of description, I think the message is lost - because of the power of mental models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim - thanks I agree with your take. Those would be the things I would say as I fleshed out the outline. I totally agree about the typical mental model of individuals within the "church culture."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You used the phrase "practicing a rhythm of spiritual disciplines." In your humble voice of authority, what would that rhythm look like?

    ReplyDelete