Friday, August 21, 2009

What Does a Rhythm of Spiritual Disciplines Look Like?

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11: 28-30 -The Message Bible

"In the end, this is the most hopeful thing any of us can say about spiritual transformation: I cannot transform myself, or anyone else for that matter. What I can do is create the conditions in which spiritual transformation can take place, by developing and maintaining a rhythm of spiritual practices that keep me open and available to God" From the book Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton

I love both of those quotes. I love the freedom that they describe. I really like the use of the word rhythm. I believe God created us to live in balance and rhythm. I think sometimes the word “discipline” scares us. It makes us think of added burdens and struggle not freedom and lightness. When a football team is in rhythm it is at its best. The team doesn’t quit working or trying but everything seems to come easier. I think that’s what happens when we discover our God designed rhythm.

I believe that a rhythm of spiritual disciplines will look different for every person. Each of us must find our own rhythm - the rhythm that works for us. In the classic on spiritual disciplines Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster – Foster describes twelve distinct disciplines. The twelve disciplines are divided into three categories. The inward disciplines are meditation, prayer, fasting, and study. The outward disciplines are simplicity, solitude, submission, and service. The corporate disciplines are confession, worship, guidance, and celebration. I believe that each of us will establish a repertoire of disciplines that best suit us.

In my life I have a daily rhythm, a weekly rhythm, and an annual rhythm. Some of the disciplines I practice daily. Things like prayer, study, confession and meditation. Other disciplines I practice weekly – things like simplicity, service, worship, celebration, and Sabbath rest. Some disciplines I practice periodically throughout the year – things like extended periods of silence & solitude, guidance, and larger acts of service.

I’ve discovered that some of the disciplines are harder for me than others. I’ve also discovered that some are more meaningful for me than others. I’m definitely not an expert in this area – but I do think that the idea of us finding our personal rhythm is a key. What works for you? In order to answer that question you have to experiment with all of the disciplines. I’ve found that sometimes it helps to submit myself to a “guided” experience with a discipline or disciplines that I’m not familiar or comfortable with.

Here are a few of the best resources that I’ve found. Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard, Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life by Tony Jones, and The Life You’ve Always Wanted by John Ortberg. Fosters book is the classic on the subject, but recently I read Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton and it has become my favorite. Barton’s discussion of “Christian Fatigue Syndrome” is really good.

Well those are some of my thoughts. I’m sure some of the others that read this blog can add more insights.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the late comment -- the "rhythm" in my life has been a bit syncopated of late. Those verses from Matthew have become my favorite. Even though my life has been in and out of chaos those are the verses that I keep aiming for. Too much of our lives both in community and as individuals seem to be more like "wag the dog" as opposed to "unforced rhythms of grace." Over the last few years I have encountered Mark Berry and the Safespace crew (As you have) and their expressions of daily, weekly and annual rhythm, In an effort to get a handle on my rhythm I have, of late and with some conversations with my spiritual director, been working on a personal "Rule of Life." It's still in the drawing board stages because I'm struggling with how to keep it simple yet meaningful and how to not let it become too legalistic and put me right back where I came from with endless list of expectations placed upon me by myself and others due to my position. As of right now the "disciplines" (categories) I have on my list are:
    1. Praying the hours (I've used some of St. Brendan's story to write "liturgies" for praying morning, 10 am, noon, 4 pm, and evening prayers. I also have an Anglican prayer rope from St. Brendan's monastic retreat community that I have written a rosary-type reflective prayer to use.
    2. Exercise: Some may not see this as spiritual discipline but my two primary forms are bike rides down the seawall and surfing. I'm alone many of the times when I do this so it fills the category of (3) solitude also where I say nothing -- not even pray -- I just BREATHE in God's presence.
    4. Lectio Divina: Regular times of praying the Scriptures and letting God speak without the need to have fourteen commentaries out before me.
    5. Cooking Out: (Hospitality) God has provided us with a great place to live (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y5d9LgTlJyM/SqJyztnLJII/AAAAAAAAAUc/peLrFVcMtuc/s1600-h/2.jpg) and we want to share that -- along with some grilled shrimp:-) -- with others.
    6.Others (Service): This is one of the primary motivators for us in leaving paid ministry. we wanted to be able to minister to others out of our passion and not because we were "supposed to because I was the pastor."
    7. Pilgrimage: Still trying to figure out how/if this really fits but it interests me
    8. Feast Days/Saints: Reflecting on the lives of those whose shoulders we stand on around a meal
    9. Simplicity: This really just gets worked into everything and leads to those unforced rhythms of grace.
    10. Creativity: For me this will be expressed primarily through 1) shaping surfboards (Solitude/"therapy") and 2) creating worship experiences for others as I have the chance.

    Maybe more length than you wanted but no one else was responding so I figured I could have some of their minutes. Thanks for the space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike - That's really good stuff. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete